Monday, July 26, 2010

The One Day, 65 Mile Bike Tour....

(Billboards rock my world. Tall and goofy I guess.)

Alright all 14 of you......HERE'S NOT THE SKINNY, BUT THE HEAVY. I am struggling terribly to write this. I officially did a 1 day, 65 mile bike tour from Colorado Springs to Hartsel. I set out from Colorado Springs on the morning of the 24th packed and ready....I rode up and across 2 passes that day: one @ 9,500 ft. and the other @ 9,200 feet and upon beginning my descent and rounding 53 miles, I began crying as I was riding. Crying so terribly that I had to pull over, sit down and have myself a nice weep. I cannot pinpoint exactly why. I was doubting everything....my desire to ride, my abilities, and willingness to be open. After rounding out my day at 65 miles, getting a gallon of water, and finding camp in the backwoods, I began to analyze my options. Through the day, I had already realized that I wasn't as into it as I wanted to be/thought I would be. In short, the tour wasn't happening. I already missed home and felt that I hadn't spent enough time between the JMT and the bike ride. I also didn't want to be alone for a full 3 months, or even a single month at that. I didn't feel that my heart was really in the trip. I thought that maybe I was simply having a rough day and needed to push a few days more over the "hump", but I looked back on the day and realized that rather than riding with my head up, pushing forward, I was instead staring at the pavement while riding. It is as simple as that. I would be heartbroken if this was the end, but it isn't. I will be out on the bike shortly, possibly on an Oregon adventure during my time off. If not, other adventures will certainly be rolling around. You all know me well enough.

(Scout enjoying the comfort of mom's leg.)


(I now officially love rest stops in Arizona. Didn't know that things such as "Horny Goat Weed" existed!!)


(Thundhead from a rest stop in glorious New Mexico.)


(The family lunch wagon.)


(I love convex mirrors and close ups and blue skies.)


(Yowzer.)


(Garden of the Gods....where I started in Colorado.)


(Super goofy tourist who wanted me to take his picture in front of the rocks.)


(The last picture taken by me. Where I took a rest stop and got attacked by biting flies and beauty.)

No comments:

Post a Comment